Sherman's Left Wing Historical Marker
Sherman’s Left Wing
On Nov. 27, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] moved from Sandersville toward Louisville. Ward’s division, 14th Corps, with the artillery and trains of both corps, moved to Davisboro and encamped. Morgan’s and Baird’s divisions, 14th Corps, crossed Ogeechee River at Fenn’s Bridge (4 mi. N) and turned toward Louisville. Jackson’s and Geary’s divisions, 20th Corps, destroyed the Central Railroad from Tennille to Davisboro and halted here for the night.
That night, Hq. Left Wing (Slocum), H1. 14th Corps (Davis) and H1. 20th Corps (Williams) were established in Davisboro.
This marker is located on Georgia Highway 24, west of Davisboro at Williamson Swamp Creek near mile marker 5.
Date of Origin