Washington County Courthouse Historical Marker

Washington County Courthouse

Washington, Georgia’s ninth county and first in the nation to be named for George Washington, was created in 1784 for granting land to soldiers for Revolutionary War services.

Courthouse Square, located on the old stagecoach road from Louisville to Milledgeville, is on the Dixie and Nancy Hart Highways. The present Courthouse Building, the third, was erected in 1899. The first was burned in “the great fire” March 24, 1855, when only five buildings in the entire town were left. The second, built from a tax levied by the State Legislature, was burned in 1864 by Sherman on his “March to the Sea”. It is claimed that more Confederate soldiers went from Washington County than any other county in the state. Fifteen military companies were organized here. Washington County has furnished two Governors – Jared Irwin, 1796 to 1798 and 1806 to 1809, and Thomas W. Hardwick, 1921 to 1923. Gov. Hardwick also had served as United States Congressman and Senator.

{Location – Courthouse Square in Sandersville.