Washington County, which once embraced all the territory from the Cherokee corner North, from the Ogeechee to the Oconee and to Liberty on the South, was surveyed in 1784. Soon the small settlement known as Warthen’s Store was to be held. The first Superior Court Session sat at the home of Mr. Benjamin Tennille. Court Sessions continued to be held in this vicinity until 1798 when a more central point was selected.
The hewn log jail, in which Aaron Burr was confined over night, stands a few yards west of this marker.
Bethlehem Academy, chartered in 1832 was one of the four schools established by the State Legislature in Washington County. These educational institutions were maintained by a lottery authorized for this purpose.
This marker is located on Georgia Highway 15, south of the post office in Warthen.
Date of Origin
This marker was erected in 1954 by the Georgia Historical Commission.