The original house at Oaklodg was built for John Thomas Cook by James Barfield of Jefferson County as a 1 & ½ story craftsman structure. In 1910 Thomas Cook Wylly came to sell his mother’s place, but remained for almost 70 years. In 1928 Wylly engaged George Beck of Indianapolis to raise the house and build a ground floor underneath. Due to storm damage in 1940, another renovation by Dennis & Dennis of Macon resulted in the grander Greek Revival home seen today. Vast grounds of oak canopy include a formal boxwood garden, a wall constructed of Savannah brick, and an original smokehouse and carriage house.