Built as a residence for Mr. and Mrs. C.D. Shelnutt by local builder, M.W. Schwall, this rare example of Queen Anne Victorian architecture has many unusual features including a “witch’s hat porch” and tuck-point exterior finish (plaster bonded in a brick pattern over brick). The wood shingle roof was replaced in 1925 with painted metal tile. Ida Shelnutt Wylly directed interior renovations to the first floor in 1978 and added a carport. Allen and Anne Knox Hodges purchased the house in 1991. They modernized in 2003 maintaining the character of the house. They have reared their three children there.