The focal point of Washington County government, the courthouse building is the third in the history of the county. The first was burned down in 1855, along with most of the town of Sandersville, due to an accidental fire. The second courthouse was burned down in 1864 by Sherman’s men on their March to the Sea. The current courthouse was erected in 1899 on the foundation of the second courthouse. It is built in a Victorian style; the original brass bell installed in 1899 still rings today. This location is on the National Register of Historic Places.