This Federal Building was built in 1931, in the Colonial Revival style. Originally, it housed the Sandersville Post Office and was noted for the use of pink marble for the floors and interior.
The M.C. Smith Funeral Home was founded on January 1, 1931, at the address of 804 Lovett Street, Sandersville, Georgia by the late Mr. M.C. Smith. In August 1936, the address of the funeral home changed to the more centrally located downtown address of 117 Gilmore Street, Sandersville, Georgia, where it is presently operated.
The bank was built in 1898 as the Holt Brothers Building, and in 1901 the brothers, who were farmers and businessmen, opened the First National Bank there. It was built as a two-story brick building with ashlar marble. Its front door had a stained glass fanlight, and beside the door, in marble, was carved "Chas. E. Choate - Architect and Builder". The brothers sold the building to the First National Bank in 1914. The bank was later owned by Gordon S. Chapman, publisher and mayor in Sandersville
The first courthouse was a wooden structure built in 1812 on a site not far from the present courthouse. It was rebuilt in 1836 as a two-story brick structure measuring 50 x 60 feet in size. Fire destroyed this courthouse in 1855; a temporary courthouse was built with timbers from an old county-owned stable. A third courthouse was built of handmade brick made of Washington County clay and lime from the lime sinks and was later burned by General Sherman and his troops in 1864. The present structure was built in 1869 on the same foundation as the one destroyed by Sherman. The courthouse underwent modifications and additions in 1899. The red brick Victorian-style courthouse is the focal point of the county seat, Sandersville. The original brass bell and Seth-Thomas clock installed in 1899 still tolls the time for the city. On the National Register of Historic Places.
The monument in memory of Governor Jared Irwin (1750-1818) was erected on the town square in 1856 by an act of the State of Georgia Legislature. It was later moved to the present location after the construction of a new courthouse in 1869.
The bank stand was built in 1898 on the courthouse grounds by Louis Cohen for his daughter Florence. The bandstand was used as a grandstand for the benefit of having outside symphonies. Florence was an avid music lover and sought a place for outside entertainment. In circa, 1900 a local band was formed in honor of her, named the Florence Symphony. Many outside musical symphonies were held from the bank stand. In later years the bandstand was moved to its present location on the courthouse square and extensive renovations were made.
The stone step with the name lewis cohen inscribed came from the front yard of Mr. Cohen's home on north harris street in Sandersville. The stone was used in his era to assist ladies as they stepped in and out of carriages. The home was demolished a number of years ago to allow for the expansion of the George d. Warthen bank. When the stone step was removed it was only befitting that it be placed beside the gazebo on the courthouse square. In 1898 Mr. Cohen had the bandstand built for his daughter Florence so concerts could be held there for her enjoyment and the enjoyment of the town.
This Victorian Era conjoined jail and sheriffs' home was built in 1891 and is one of a few known to exist today. Very little has changed in the building since 1975 when it was last used as a jail. It was built of brick and stone with the intention of the appearance of a well-appointed dwelling. The sheriff storied was in the back part. The jail section still houses the original cells and locking mechanism. The Washington County Historical Society now houses the Old Jail Museum and Genealogy Research Center in the building.
This was built on the courthouse square to replace the earlier lodge, which had been spared by Union troops during Sherman’s March to the Sea only to be lost to fire in 1921.
This building is the only remaining portion of the original Julida Hotel, transitioning into the Hermann-Evans Sanitarium from 1910-1913 and then the Rawlings Sanitarium, known to the community as “The Hospital” from 1913-1961. There was an addition to the back of the building for storage, circa 1960. The lower floor of the building became the Wilson Furniture Company in 1994. The original hospital operating room with skylight remains on the second floor, front room.
In 1925 the Transylvania Club bought the antebellum home and law office of Colonel Richard Lee Warthen for $6,000. This building, also located on the square in Sandersville, continued to house the library until 1998
Constructed in 1858 as The Sandersville Hotel, this building became an addition to the first Rawlings Sanitarium about 1905. Later becoming offices and a nurses’ home from 1914 until the early 1960s.
First built as the Farm and Mercantile store. Later the building served many purposes, some of which were (not in chronological order): Meat Market (1908), General Store (1908), Sears, The Sandersville Progress, law offices (upstairs) and apartments (upstairs). Cindy, Joey, and Tracy Giddens purchased the building in 2012 and renovated the first floor, opening downstairs shops in October 2012. They then began upstairs renovations in 2013 and
Click Below To Choose Your New Historical Tour District