The original clapboard house was built for Judge Benjamin Tarbutton Rawlings. In 1940, his son, Dr. Fred B. and wife Mary employed Dennis & Dennis of Macon to remodel, bricking the front and raising ceilings. In 1944 Mary’s father Thomas W. Hardwick, Georgia Governor (1921-1923), spent his final illness in the home. Mary redesigned the garden, installing the herringbone brick walk. In the 1990s, nephew Joe Rawlings renovated the house and recreated the picket fence copying the original design. Current owners Jennifer and Brian Wright developed the gardens. Brian built the pool house and made its cedar shakes from a tree lost in the 2014 ice storm.
268 N. Harris St., Sandersville, GA 31082