An “unorthodox version of Greek Revival style,” this clapboard cottage is one of the oldest houses in Sandersville. It was built for Major Mark Newman, who immigrated from Poland in 1847. A beloved citizen, Newman served as ordinary and treasurer for 22 years. The original house “sat back from the road,” consisting of small rooms with low ceilings. Extensive remodeling was done prior to the Civil War. In 1936 two large rooms and a foyer with high ceilings were added onto the front, creating a step down from the front to the back of the house. The porch has a hipped roof and fluted Doric columns.
268 N. Harris St., Sandersville, GA 31082