East Haynes Street was once called Cotton Avenue because of large cotton warehouses situated there. Some were operated by the Holt, Cohen, and Tarbutton families.
The Great Fire of 1888 destroyed most of the buildings south and east of the public square. When rebuilding began in 1890, the new structures were built with brick to prevent another mass blaze. Many of the buildings were built between 1890 and 1910, coinciding with the Cotton Boom that brought business and attention to Washington County. In 1903, the Atlanta Constitution reported that Sandersville contained between twenty-five and thirty retail stores, five wholesale stores, and five manufacturing plants. A recession in 1921 halted continuing prosperity as well as new construction.
The restored Pringle Building was originally built in 1890 by Mr. Coleman Robert Pringle, a successful businessman and public servant. Dubbed the “Father of Prohibition,” he was a delegate to the State Temperance Convention and led the charge to make Washington the first “dry” county in Georgia. Now home to gift-shop and interior design store George’s Quarters, this site is where Pringle opened a large mercantile operation. Still a private residence, Pringle’s home can be seen at 115 West Church Street.